Updated May 5, 2022
Those who have a documented history of a positive test or symptomatic COVID-19 disease should not, in general, be retested within 90 days of that positive test. During this period, ongoing viral shedding may cause a positive test even after symptoms have resolved and the individual is no longer infectious.
- Faculty, students, and staff who test positive for COVID-19 with home tests or at non-Yale University testing centers should submit a copy of the test and any related medical records for review to Yale Health by completing the online form* and are encouraged to call their health care providers to determine if they are eligible for treatment. Other Yale Health members (dependents and retirees) should call their Yale Health primary care provider to discuss treatment options. Suspicious symptoms without confirmatory positive test results will not be considered proof of prior infection.
- Once confirmed, if part of a required testing program, the individual will be automatically exempted from gateway and routine testing for 90 days from the date of the positive test. Individuals should test on the final day of pause to meet testing compliance. Waiting to test until the day after the pause ends will result in non-compliance reminders and reports.
- Individuals who are tested through one of the Yale University test sites in the Yale Testing program will automatically have their testing requirements paused for 90 days.
- Those who have a documented history of a positive test or symptomatic COVID-19 disease should not, in general, undergo PCR testing for COVID-19 within 90 days of that positive test date. During this period, ongoing viral shedding may cause a positive or inconclusive test even after symptoms have resolved and the individual is no longer infectious.
- A new COVID-19 infection can, however, occur within that 90-day period. If COVID-like symptoms should develop, contact your primary care provider to discuss next steps.
* If you are unable to use the link, please call CCRL at 203-432-6604 for assistance.